Although root canals tend to have a bad reputation among patients, it’s actually a procedure used to saved a tooth and has become easier and quite painless. When a tooth is badly decayed or becomes infected, root canal treatment is necessary to repair and preserve the tooth. During the procedure, the inside of the tooth is cleaned and sealed. Failing to receive treatment can lead to serious infection in the tissue around the tooth.
You may need a root canal if you have:
- Tenderness and swelling in the surrounding gums.
- Prolonged sensitivity to heat or cold temperatures.
- Discoloration or darkening of the tooth.
- An unrelenting or recurring pimple on the gums.
- Severe toothache when chewing or applying pressure